Thursday, July 25, 2013

Toy Camera Geekery

Tomorrow I will be doing an "artist demo" at the Sooke Fine Arts Show on toy camera photography!  When purchasing items I generally avoid plastic products with the exception of plastic toy cameras.  A few years ago I thought it would be fun to shoot medium format film, so I looked for used medium format cameras only to find that they are uber-expensive---even old battered ones!  Somehow in my search I discovered the Diana and Holga cameras and learned that these cheap plastic cameras used medium format 120 film.  I ordered a Holga on ebay and watched a few youtube videos and right away learned how to modify the Holga.   I love clear, sharp focus, control, and playing with depth of field, but also I love how fun and amazing plastic film cameras are for creating the unexpected!


Here are a few pics of my Toy Camera Collection including the "modified Holga", the Diana, the Diana mini, the Fisheye 2, a "FUN" Reader's Digest gift camera, and a Crystar mini camera (given to me broken when I was little).




No comments:

Post a Comment